OTTAWA (September 20, 2015) – Close to 25,000 people from across the country ran, walked, and rolled through the streets of Ottawa and Gatineau in the 8th annual Canada Army Run, presented by BMO – one of the most unique running events in the country. The event raised approximately $400,000 for Soldier On and the Military Families Fund, two Canadian Armed Forces financial support programs.
Among the VIPs who took part in official ceremonies were His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada (and patron of the event); Lieutenant-General Marquis Hainse, Commander of the Canadian Army; Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson; and Sandra Henderson, Senior Vice President, Eastern Ontario Division, Canadian Personal & Commercial Banking, BMO Financial Group.
The official results from today’s event are available atwww.sportstats.ca.
- Since 2008, more than $1.6 million has been raised through Canada Army Run for Soldier On and the Military Families Fund. Canada Army Run is the single most significant event generating funds to help military members and their families.
- On April 30, 2015, Canada Army Run received the 2015 Ottawa Tourism Award for Community Spirit.
- Canada Army Run’s 5K, which sold out in August, is one of the largest 5K events in Canada.
- The presenting sponsor of Canada Army Run is BMO. A list of all sponsors is located here.
- Follow Canada Army Run on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Periscope.
“I’m proud of how significant Canada Army Run has become and humbled by the tremendous support Canadians continue to show our members of the Canadian Armed Forces. These individuals make sacrifices every day to keep Canadians safe at home and abroad, so support from those whom they protect means so much. On behalf of our men and women in uniform and their families, thank you.”
-Lieutenant-General Marquis Hainse, Commander of the Canadian Army